Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.4 lens not so hot.

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
Cytokine
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
Re: Something interesting
In reply to MisterHairy, 11 months ago

MisterHairy wrote:

On that I agree wholeheartedly. FWIW, on my other D800E, I see the opposite behaviour in terms of shutter speed, with the 1.4 lens getting a consistently faster speed.

For what it's worth, here's another pair of image centres at f/2 with a longer subject distance. Still no slaying. In fact, I couldn't really pick between them. I need to redo some human subjects as it is totally inappropriate for me to distribute any of the "test" shots from yesterday. More's the pity, but I'd get shot.

I can see more detail in the wood detail on the right, in the 1.4 also there is marginally more blurring on the right hand side photo. Odd that the cameras should perform differently. Larger lenses have more spherical aberration that shows more as the lens is opened up.

I love good bokeh, I think if they had put a nine blade aperture in the 1.8G it would have been closer still, but theĀ aberrationĀ caused by the wide lens also contributes to bokeh.

The blossoms I posted recently

John

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow