Photos appearing flat/desaturated on iPhone?

Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Puddleglum
Regular MemberPosts: 259
Like?
Photos appearing flat/desaturated on iPhone?
May 23, 2013

I have a photo from an NEX-5R, which I edited in Aperture, and dragged to the desktop, then later sent to a friend using Dropbox. I downloaded the same photo on my iPhone 4S and it appeared rather flat and desaturated. I know my home monitor isn't calibrated but really the difference was pretty striking. I mean it almost looks flatter than I remember the OOC JPEG being. I viewed the same file on my desktop at work, and it looked more or less the way I expected it to. I was wondering if it is some kind of color profile issue. The JPEG just said "sRGB" in Windows Photo Viewer. Using some MS Office tool, I exported the image as PNG to test my color profile theory, since I understand PNG doesn't support color profiles. On my work machine the PNG and the JPG were effectively indiscernable. When I sent the PNG to my iPhone, voila, it appeared more contrasty and properly saturated, the way I remembered my edit looking.

I have attached two images, which are screenshots from the iPhone showing the two images. I know trying to "show" color issues over the web like this is always dicey, but I can see the difference between these two screenshots on my work computer so I assume you'll be able to see the difference as well.

What exactly is going on here? Any advice about sharing photos and color profiles? FWIW the original photo was shot in JPEG. I'm new to Aperture as well.

Screenshot of viewing original JPEG on iPhone

Screenshot of viewing converted PNG on iPhone

NEX5R
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow