Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.4 lens not so hot.

Started May 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
Cytokine
Contributing MemberPosts: 626
Like?
Re: Something interesting
In reply to MisterHairy, May 23, 2013

MisterHairy wrote:

I very rarely want to shoot anything at f/1.4 to be honest. I honestly do believe that those 2/3 of a stop are used almost exclusively for internet bragging rights. Not much of the world's commercial photography is shot at f/1.4 and we are talking about a supposedly "pro" lens here.

I'd rather have a lens which is bloody sharp at f/1.8 than one which needs to be stopped down by two stops to compare.

I have not seen anyone on here bragging about their 1.4G 85mm lenses, In fact when discussing my older 85mm 1.4D the owners of the newer lens have responded with reserved and polite opinions.

But to state that it is completely inferior to the 1.8G sounds like inverted bragging to me!  I am sorry you find f1.4 lenses useless, but I find them better at all fstops in terms of clarity and subtle colour.

Having spent 25 years in a commercial Advertising and photographic environment, I find that Creative photographers will try everything and squeeze every drop of creativity out of their equipment.

John

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow