Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.4 lens not so hot.

Started May 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
MisterHairy
Senior MemberPosts: 1,223Gear list
Like?
Re: Something interesting
In reply to Cytokine, May 23, 2013

I very rarely want to shoot anything at f/1.4 to be honest. I honestly do believe that those 2/3 of a stop are used almost exclusively for internet bragging rights. Not much of the world's commercial photography is shot at f/1.4 and we are talking about a supposedly "pro" lens here.

I'd rather have a lens which is bloody sharp at f/1.8 than one which needs to be stopped down by two stops to compare.

Cytokine wrote:

The 85 1.8 has a slower T Stop and it looks to me like the D800E has increased the ISO Automatically and with the loupe you can see slightly more grain than the 1.4 which also looks to be better exposed looking at the collar area.

This automatic ISO behaviour has been high lighted by DXO Mark with heavily pixelated sensors. The point you have not mentioned is that the 1.8 cant do 1.4 or do you have a solution for that.

John

MisterHairy's gear list:MisterHairy's gear list
Nikon D700 Nikon Df Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED +14 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow