Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Tom Meeks
Senior MemberPosts: 2,939Gear list
Like?
Testing the new LED100WA-56 Light with Bowens Softbox Mount
May 23, 2013

I just took delivery of some new constant LED lights that include a bowens mount for adding a softbox.

Nominally, these lights are said to produce the equivalent of a 1000watt incandescent bulb.  I have not checked this claim.  However, having now tested the lights using both video and still cameras, I have to say that I am going to find them very useful.

Since I use a Canon 5D MK II, the output power is less important to me than the quality of the light in terms of any color casts, etc.  In this, I have found the lights to be excellent.

Here are some samples at various camera settings.  Only the last photo was processed for color correction.  The sets of numbers in the photo's description represent the RED, GREEN & BLUE values as picked up in the center of the white box in the color card.   While the greens are consistently the lowest value, it is only by a very narrow margin.  So, only minimal color correction was required.

All photos were taken at an ISO of 800.

TEST #1 - 5600K setting

LED100WA-56, Canon 5D MKII, 40mm f2.8 lens, 1/100, 4.0 - 5600K WB (254,238,255)

Test #2 - Flash Setting

LED100WA-56, Canon 5D MKII, 40mm f2.8 lens, 1/100, 4.0 - Flash WB (255,240,252)

Test #3 - Daylight Setting

LED100WA-56, Canon 5D MKII, 40mm f2.8 lens, 1/100, 4.0 - Daylight WB (252,240,255)

Test #4 - Auto Setting

LED100WA-56, Canon 5D MKII, 40mm f2.8 lens, 1/100, 4.0 - Auto WB (252,239,254)

Color Corrected in Digital Photo Professional

Color Corrected

While I first tested these with a still camera, my primary application will be for video.  And, they do an excellent job with all the video cameras I've tested so far.

This particular light is sold through http://www.led-video-lights.com.  While the company is located in China and I'm located in Maryland, the transaction went very smoothly and the communication was excellent.  Fotodiox also sells this light under its own brand.

This light has a 60 degree light angle.  Photoflex will be introducing a similar light with a 120 degree light angle.  That is also one to consider.

My only complaint is that the connection between the light and light stand does not slide to accommodate the weight of bigger softboxes.  The Photoflex light does.  But, the cost differential is great enough that I can put up with that minor complaint.

LED100WA-56 light with Bowens Mount

Tom Meeks's gear list:Tom Meeks's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 400D Canon EOS 450D Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II USM +1 more
Canon EOS 5D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow