Started May 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
dinoSnake
Senior MemberPosts: 1,000
Like?
Re: OH MY GOD THE GX2 OH MY GOD
In reply to Airless, May 23, 2013

"IT ACTUALLY HAS IBIS"

No, seriously doubt it.

The rumors sound stupid: it makes no business sense to add IBIS to the GX-bodied series.  Let's look at the rumor of IBIS as well as 18MP:

1) The G6 was introduced 1 month ago; the GH3 has only become available recently.  Both will retail for more than the GX2 is expected to yet both use the 16MP sensor and have no IBIS, the latter of which if Panasonic *were* to introduce they would certainly want to put it in their new top of the line, DSLR-style serious amateur / 'pro' bodies

2) Panasonic has a vested interest in OIS, which they use to differentiate themselves from their Olympus mFT competitor.  They have an invested selection of OIS lenses; it makes no sense to recreate a system when they already have one, and one that they have heavily marketed themselves towards.  After years of supporting OIS strengths, to go to IBIS...?

3) Adding IBIS will add size to the GX body.  This may not be an issue because, if EVF is indeed included, the body size will grow away from the classic GX dimensions anyway.  The rumor spoke of L1-style, and that is not a small camera.  You may lose the built-in flash to get the EVF in the same sized body - nothing comes for free

4) Upping to 18MP for a single non-flagship camera is not typical Japanese fashion.  Again, if the 18MP sensor were proposed it would have made more sense to slightly postpone the G6 to add it rather than come out now only to be upstaged, megapixel-wise, by a less expensive, less 'serious' camera just a few months later (because the average market equate DSLR shape to be 'serious'" but rangefinder shape to 'amateur').

Anyway, I guess we'll see.  A Fuji X-E1 style camera with mFT body dimensions would be awesomely welcomed, but I don't see how they could fit all that into the current body size and included the GX1's flash as well.  Something will simply have to give.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow