Post your pictures of farm-animals

Started May 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
Hen3ry
Senior MemberPosts: 9,192Gear list
Like?
A rare pig -- the "nearest to the wild" Tamworth
In reply to inasir1971, May 23, 2013

Visiting Brisbane in 2010, I asked my cousin, Gayle, to take me out to Mark Tully's rare chooks (chickens) and pigs, etc, farm at Helidon.

Cousin Gayle and a Tamworth piglet. The now endangered, orangeBlue Hills haired Tamworth breed is one of the closest of domestic pigs to the wild. They can actually plough a furrow with their nose! A half a century plus ago when I was a lad growing up on our small farm outside Melbourne in Australia we raised Berkshire and Large White pigs. I was fascinated by the hardy Tamworth breed, though, and there were hundreds of pig farms around the country stocked with Tamworth. Now there are only a few hundred Tamworth breeding sows in the whole world!!!  The same goes for the Wessex Saddleback, Large Black, Berkshire, and even the Large White -- all displaced by an amorphous big white pig bred for super growth and now stocking pig farms around the world. And the same goes for other domesticated animals including birds.

I love pigs! 

Blue Hills is handily situated in conjunction of two creeks -- a huge advantage in normal times but a total disadvantage when freak flash floods roared through the area, killing people and stock, and causing huge property damage from Toowoomba to Brisbane in 2011.

They wiped out Mark's farm (along with those of his neighbors) and swept away most of the animals. Check out the Blue Hills site. Fascinating stuff about the loss of critical populations of original domesticated breeds.

Cheers, geoff

Hen3ry's gear list:Hen3ry's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 +4 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
BarbNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow