Blown out tulips

Started May 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
mark-vdi
Regular MemberPosts: 295Gear list
Like?
Re: Blown out tulips
In reply to tamras29, May 23, 2013

Hi I thought this old post from another part of the site might be of interest. (Found via Google)

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/2996971

Taking the discussion here a little further clearly the weighting of the 3 separate colors in the Histogram are no better than in a 'standard bayer camera' though I guess we don't actually know how much 'red' contribute luminosity wise to the global lumo histogram for the X-Trans models and I guess also it may be different between models(?), but it were assumed that the weighting is based on amount of pixels the Xtrans sensor has fewer red/blue pixels to influence the luminosty reading.  Combine that for the possibility of NIR pollution in the red channel (the X-pro can after all take quite good IR pictures) then it would be very difficult to meter red flowers either here as part of a larger "green" landscape or as a main subject under conditions where they are strongly reflecting = bright natural white light.  You have to asume actually (as said in the post above) that the sensor sees bright reds are a 'highlight' and thats not how we naturally percieve them. Color detail in the reds (and blue channel) is harder for the Xtrans to show anyway (due to fewer pixels).

Just my 2 pennies worth . .

Cheers, Mark

mark-vdi's gear list:mark-vdi's gear list
Sigma DP3 Merrill Fujifilm X-Pro1 Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 2,8/21 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow