LX3 Optimal RAW Processing: High Resolution

Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
fPrime
Contributing MemberPosts: 639Gear list
Like?
LX3 Optimal RAW Processing: Purple Fringing
In reply to fPrime, May 23, 2013

Next let’s look at purple fringing which is a natural lens aberration for the LX3 like many cameras.  Have a look at this 200% comparison view of the building edge, extreme right.  The more purple you see the worse the image quality is.

From worst to best this is how they line up in my opinion…

UFR:  Lots of purple fringing and noise in the clouds again to boot.

ACR:  Almost as much purple fringing as UFR but at least there is an option to remove it within ACR.  I personally choose not to enable this setting because turning it on desaturates fine color detail globally in the image.  I find it is better to treat purple fringing locally in the image with Photoshop.  What you see here is the fringing uncorrected in ACR.

DxO:  Good purple defringing.  Some sharpening halos around building edges again, though.

SPP:  Clearly the best defringing output and nice preservation of the underlying natural color.  Slikypix clearly got the LX3’s secret lens correction sauce from Panasonic and here is where it shows.

fPrime's gear list:fPrime's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Nikon D200 Nikon D700 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Sigma 50mm F1.4 EX DG HSM +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow