Which would you choose? 85mm 1.4g or 135mm f2 DC?

Started May 17, 2013 | Discussions thread
Guidenet
Forum ProPosts: 12,436Gear list
Like?
Re: Which would you choose? 85mm 1.4g or 135mm f2 DC?
In reply to calson, May 23, 2013

calson wrote:

I cannot understand why someone would look at both ends of the prime portrait lens focal length range and ignore the middle ground. The difference in focal length affects working distance with your subjects and the compression of features to provide a more pleasing perspective. Not difficult to take a 70-200mm or 80-200mm or 24-120mm or similar zoom lens that covers the 85-135mm range and take shots with the lens set at 85mm for an hour and then take shots with it at 105mm for an hour and then do the same at 135mm and get a sense of the distances involved and review the images and sort them as to good, better, and best, and see how many 85, 105, 135 images fall into each bucket.

In a day of zoom lenses and digital film it continues to surprise me how few people go out and experiment and look at the results to get far better and more relevant information than can be gotten by asking people for their opinions.

You obviously make some good points and your technique is often expressed on forums to choose between two or more focal lengths. The issue here might be a little different. The OP specifically asks between two different lenses that happen to be at different ends of the focal range for portrait lenses. That's only one difference among many between these two lenses.

The OP would have to buy and evaluate both lenses in order to truly be able to choose. Asking others might be the second best way and hence the reason for these forums.

Have a great upcoming weekend and take care.

-- hide signature --

Cheers, Craig
Follow me on Twitter @craighardingsr : Equipment in Profile

Guidenet's gear list:Guidenet's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon D700 Nikon D3S Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF +24 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow