Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
garysworld
Junior MemberPosts: 41Gear list
Like?
AW 110 First Impressions
May 23, 2013

I have now had this camera for several weeks and am very pleased with the results. Let’s start at what else was on my list. Being a long time Olympus user with the E-System the TG-2iHS was on the top of my list. Additionally I looked at all the other offering in this segment. For me the only other contender was the Panasonic TS 20. My first test is always what camera holds well in my hand and the TS 20 did not cut the grade for me. I did not get to spend field time with the TH-2 so I cannot provide any comparisons there. The TG-2 is somewhat more feature rich, and has a 2.0 f lens all big points. For me in this case my needs required the camera to be simple to use and operate quickly. The TG-2 lost in that respect with (a rear body) layout of controls that are poorly layout and not intuitive. Now understand I use an E-1 and E-3 Dslr, so I understand camera controls. This was one of the main down points of the Oly. My specific needs required ease of access, quick and simple functions/use of controls. The AW 110 worked better in this area (and was also less feature rich). The AW 110 is also considerably lighter and somewhat smaller. Both cameras felt good in hand. The cost is similar, but I found a $50.00 better deal on the AW 110. That said at this time I am rather happy with the camera.

The following pictures were taken over two different days, and are all just quick snaps at the beach. Nothing special here, little thought put into them. I wanted to see how well the camera would do shooting from the hip.

If there is a fault, the camera over sharpens a bit, which is evident in the first picture with both dogs, you can clearly see the in-camera processing over sharpens at the outline of both German Shepherds, who are at different distances from me. There is no post processing in any of these pictures either. The second and third pictures does show nice detail that the camera produces with color being close to real. The big GSD one is a black and red. The next series of six where done using “Sport” mode. Which was kind of a mystery at first. Unlike a Dslr which you can clearly hear the shutter click away, this camera simply fires off six pictures without any input. Hold it steady and here are the results. I am going to guess this was all in about 7-8 seconds give or take. It worked, under tough lighting conditions closer toward sunset at this point. Not something I would normally use, but it worked well enough. I am not going underwater with the camera, but I will be in wet conditions and foul weather, so far the general beach conditions getting wet have not bother the camera. Quick to focus, quick enough to take the picture and reasonable time to process and be ready for the next. Better than any of the low cost point and shoots by a wide margin. As good a picture quality as I would hope for, and easy to use, and use quickly. All good in my book.

garysworld's gear list:garysworld's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow