Started May 23, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
mholdef
Senior MemberPosts: 1,718Gear list
Like?
iMac and D800
May 23, 2013

I currently own a 27" iMac I bought in Oct 2010 (2.93 GHz i7 with 16GB DDR3 RAM and 256Go Flash SSD drive).  When I upgraded to the Nikon D800, some tasks were a tad slower (such as loading previews or using the healing brush in Lightroom), but for the most part I was OK handling 16bit TIFF files in Photoshop (I allocated 10GB of the RAM to Photoshop for file handling which helped quite a bit).

That was until I started working with panoramic shots that run 250-350Mo !!!  For example, converting to B&W with Silver Efex can take minutes once I hit 'Save'.

I can't add any more RAM to my current system and I'm wondering if upgrading to the latest 3.4 GHz iMac with 32Go of RAM would make a huge difference.  I am torn as I would like to upgrade to the latest iMac in part for its better LCD, but I wouldn't want to do so unless I would be getting a major step up in performance.

Any thoughts on this would be highly appreciated.

Mark

-- hide signature --
 mholdef's gear list:mholdef's gear list
Sony RX100 II Nikon D800E Nikon Df Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF Nikkor 20mm f/2.8D +7 more
Nikon D800 Samsung i7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow