Why I chose 6D over D600

Started May 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
t.c. marino
Contributing MemberPosts: 597
Like?
Re: Why I chose 6D over D600
In reply to socal4142, May 23, 2013

socal4142 wrote:

First post here in the forum, hopefully I'll be around for a long time to come.

Ordered a Canon 6D today, upgrading from my Sony Alpha A57. My primary uses (and this is an odd combination, I know) are corporate video and personal portraits (with some lesser use for landscapes).

5D III, D800, and A99 were all out of my price range, since I had to save some $ for lenses too.

I went through all the reviews, etc. the same miserable process we've all experienced. I thought it might be of value to someone else if I shared why I ended up with 6D over D600:

• I really am someone who will use the low-light ISO, especially for portraits since I have to shoot natural light almost exclusively. I've had a some cameras that could take great pictures (Pentax K-x, Sony NEX C3, etc.), but I've always been frustrated that I could not push comfortably beyond ISO 800. 
  • Affordable lenses in the full-frame focal lengths I needed (better than Nikon for me). Even affordable used L-series lenses. 
  • More inexpensive MF lens options, including the very affordable non-ai Nikkors. 
  • The option of the L 1.2 lenses (at least for rental). 
  • The Canon world has a better video reputation, more resources available, and the possibility of Magic Lantern on the 6D someday is a nice thought. 
  • There is a clear video upgrade route to the EOS C100. No such thing with Nikon. 
  • Slight size / weight advantage of the 6D. The smaller the camera, the more willing I am to take it out with me.  

That's all theory right now, until it arrives. Then we'll see what the reality is!

Thanks for letting me jump on board.

Tim

good for you for choosing the 6d according to your needs,excellent camera,i went with d600,overcame my qc issues and now d600 is my "go to" camera for indoor concert shooting,both are excellent cams in this regard..the icing on the cake for me is that d600 can link it's spot meter to any of the 39 af points,crucial for me when metering on off center subjects at wide apertures..much better than focus/recompose at wide apertures.the 1D series are the only eos dslrs that can do this..not even the 5d3 has this feauture..im certain next generation canons will have this..im dual system user(1D MK2N)

-- hide signature --

nikonshooter

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow