Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.4 lens not so hot.

Started May 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
Lance B
Forum ProPosts: 27,404Gear list
Like?
Re: Nikon AF-S 85mm f/1.4 lens not so hot.
In reply to SuperAchromat, May 23, 2013

SuperAchromat wrote:

LOL. you've got to laugh at these broad brushed statements.

Your observation about sharpness is no surprise.  Almost to a tee, slower lenses beat faster ones at all f-stops.

Really? Every time, every f stop, eh? Hmmm, there goes your credibility out the window.

A lowly $140 50mm f/1.8 will beat a $400+ f/1.4.

Again, really? Every time, eh? And your proof? Doesn't seem to be the case on the test sites I've seen. Credinility flown south for the winter never to return.

The issue with the Nikon 85mm f/1.4 to me isn't sharpness, it's bokeh.  I found Samyang's/Opteka lenses at $300 a pop to be better in the defocused areas.  The 85mm f/1.8 Nikon is a great lens with terrific value.

That it is, but it doesn't make it better in every respect. It seems that the OP's thoughts fly in the face of just about every review and test on these two lenses. These are just ludicrous statements from the OP:

"Sharpness is a no-brainer. The cheaper lens simply slays the 1.4 all the way up to f/5.6 or 8."

Then:

"CA is also worse on the 1.4, and while the cheap lens vignettes a bit more, I personally don't mind that at all."

Whilst both are ture statements he accepts the vignetting of the 85 f1.8 yet dismisses the CA of the 85 f1.4, nothing wrong with that on the face of it, but they can both easily be corrected post process making them both moot points of either advantage or disadvantage. However he uses them as tools to try to prove a failing argument for one over the other.

Lance B's gear list:Lance B's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 500mm f/4G ED VR +11 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow