ken6217
Regular MemberPosts: 308
Like?
Re: You have a great copy.
In reply to MiraShootsNikon, May 23, 2013

MiraShootsNikon wrote:

ken6217 wrote:

Cytokine wrote:

Firstly at 4 feet and f1.4 the depth of field (FX) is 5/8ths of an inch 15mm in metric. NOt for the inexperienced. Which is why pros love this lens and amateurs are moved to tears.

John

I understand that. I actually went to a DOF calculator after I took the images and saw how SHALLOW the DOF is at about the distance you are saying. With that said though, That shouldn't account for me focusing on the eye and the is is not sharp. At 4.5 it is very sharp though.

Maybe I got a bad copy.

Ken

(1) Maybe you need to use Autofocus Fine Tuning.

(2) Maybe you need to try the contrast-detect system in Live View to nail such shallow DoF attempts.

(3) Maybe you need to stop focus-recomposing.

(4) Maybe you're using AF-S and pausing for a split second, breathing, or doing anything else to move the camera in the split second between focus lock and shutter hit.  Maybe your subject is moving slightly, accidentally, too.  It's not difficult to accidentally move out of a 5/8 inch depth-of-field in the delay between AF-S focus lock and firing the shutter.  (Using AF-C with no lock delay / focus priority firing can solve this problem.)

The list of possible reasons why you didn't get a "bad copy" go on and on and on and on . . . .

mira

You could be right, or maybe I got a bad copy.

It's pretty hard to EFF up 1/2000 of a second. And why is it clear at other aperatures?

Ken

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow