Re: There are 29 kinds of 501(c) tax-exempt groups
In reply to Todd Ka, May 23, 2013

Todd Ka wrote:

bikinchris wrote:

Walking Dead wrote:

Todd Ka wrote:

Chato wrote:

Walking Dead wrote:

exactly what 'social welfare' activity, the group in the article does that would qualify for the tax-exempt status they're applying for.

Is having a discussion about 'personal freedoms', qualify the group for a tax-exempt status? If it is, then Dpreview should apply for exemption from paying taxes due to the discussion forums on the website. I thought 'social welfare' was like running a food bank, or raising monies for research on illnesses, and other such stuff.

And, I'm not knocking just the right wing groups on this, there are left-leaning groups that I'm sure have applied for a tax-exempt status under the same category as the tea partiers.

I believe that the IRS needs to give a clearer definition of what activities qualify for a tax-exemption. Otherwise, I'll apply for a tax-exemption for any monies I spent on having friends over for a BBQ and drinks, and we talk sports.

I'm a part of a left wing Community group that applied for charitable status. We are a housing organisation fighting for affordable Housing. Despite the fact that 95 percent of us are leftists, we are VERY careful to avoid even a hint of endorsing candidates. Indeed, we even refrain from attacking those we dislike. Even so, it was very difficult to get this tax status.

This Tea Party group, like most of the others,  endorses candidates by taking sides in elections - If not "supporting" one candidate, they attack the other. I would day that such de-facto endorsements violate the tax free status.

So I guess unions should also loose their tax free status?

In the case of the Tea Party groups, they are filing for a 501(c)4 status. This type of tax-exemption is suppose to be for "Civic Leagues, Social Welfare Organizations, and Local Associations of Employees" groups. So why should they get tax-exemption under this definition?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/501%28c%29_organization

-- hide signature --

Defender of Truth, Justice, and the American Way

Which was my point. They shouldn't. But it doesn't make it correct to target them. On the other hand, they should have been denied out of hand in the first place. Ironic that their Raison d'être is to hate taxes.

-- hide signature --

"If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies, jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears."
--Cesare Pavese

The Tea Party certainly counts a civic league.  Any group that educations the public about he virtues of small government, low taxes, self reliance, the US Constitution, and voter fraud prevention should be considered a Social welfare organization.

If a certain political party stands in near complete opposition to those ideas, so be it.  But it should not effect their ability receive the proper tax designation for their group.

But, they are not allowed to campaign or advocate for any politician. So, I think the inquiry that the IRS made into the Tea party groups was right. What was wrong is some of questions they asked.

The IRS has the right to know if the Tea Party people held a meeting and they told people that 'taxes needed to lowered' (which is allowed), but then said, 'Candidate Joe Blow supports lower taxes. So come election day, put a check next to Joe Blow's name (which isn't allowed)'.

Also, the IRS has a right to know who donated money, because some of the money may have come from sources that aren't allowed to contribute money.

-- hide signature --

Defender of Truth, Justice, and the American Way

Walking Dead's gear list:Walking Dead's gear list
Sigma 35mm F1.4 DG HSM
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow