I Will Not Shot in RAW

Started May 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
I2K4
Regular MemberPosts: 423Gear list
Like?
Re: RAW is not Future Proof...
In reply to JJ Rodin, May 22, 2013

I'm not much into another debate about image quality of RAW vs JPG output but the question of longevity is a serious one.  There is a lot of googlable opinion, but for the time being I'm convinced that anything one considers "archival" in the sense that I  want it to be there fifty year or more years down the road ought to be in DNG format:

www.adobe.com/ca/products/photoshop/extend.displayTab2.html

Most non-pros are so used to having print family snapshots or even some professional prints from the last century, we forget how new it is and how quickly this digital medium is moving. Many of us are taking so many photos because it's now cheap to "develop" them, but it's still relatively pricey to print them.  So what makes anybody think JPEG will be convertible and useful to our great-grandchildren in the way Mom's Kodak Brownie prints are to us right now?  I think there are photographers who shot proprietary RAW early in the 2000s who will have trouble finding software to deal with their images now, only ten years later.

I take nothing for granted in terms of storage devices (CD-ROM, hard drive, USB drive, online cloud) or in terms of converting digital file formats.  The good thing is that so far, technology has been providing useful "windows" of time to move important digital images into different media or formats before they become useless and lost forever, but I would not bank on it.  At least Adobe with DNG has turned its mind to the problem in a serious way to create an archival standard.  If others have better solutions I'll certainly listen.

I2K4's gear list:I2K4's gear list
Canon PowerShot S5 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot SD4000 IS +1 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
:)New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow