Started May 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
hotshot91
Forum MemberPosts: 70
Like?
FOCUS ISSUES Live View vs. View Finder
May 22, 2013

I recently upgrade from my T3i to the 6D.  My assortment of lenses include the 100mmL 2.8, 24-70mmL 2.8 II & the 70-200 2.8L II.

I had to return my first 24-70mmL 2.8 I got because to me the 24mm focus was not as sharp as I expected.  The new one I received yesterday is sharper but nowhere near as sharp as my 100mm or 70-200mm….

My issue is that I constantly get sharper focus in Live view vs. view finder shot.

Is this normal?  I used a tripod, same exposure, ISO ect. and compared the two images.

Using the 100mm the difference is less noticeable.  LIVE VIEW

VIEW FINDER

With the 24-700L 2.8 the difference is much more pronounced. LIVE VIEW

VIEW FINDER

I know fewer focal points of the 6D is a limiting factor but don’t know what to make of it.  I’m not ready for a 5DIII right now (wife loves the weight, wi-fi on the 6D).

None of these images were altered; they are the 100% crop. I compared using evaluative vs center focus ect, and it didn’t matter, same result.  FWIW, the evaluative focus worked best in this indoor stationary subject.

I’m most impressed with my 100mmL & 70-200mm L II.  Not sure about my 24-70mmL II yet, I need to use it for a few more day’s. I don't know what to expect, so I need some help.

Maybe another prime is the way to go, ditching the 24-70mm and picking up the EF 50mm f/1.2L USM and use that as my walk around lens. With the 50mm, 100mm, 70-200mm I would also round out this fab trio with the 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM.

Moving subjects are going to difficult focus with live view, maybe it’s a 6D issue, grrrrr.

Thanks for your input!

Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS 600D (EOS Rebel T3i / EOS Kiss X5) Canon EOS 6D
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow