Off-brand battery chargers for the LI90: any problems?

Started May 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
Henry Falkner
Forum ProPosts: 12,167Gear list
Like?
Off-Brand Charging my Li-50Bs
In reply to clear glass, May 22, 2013

I bought a mains plug-pack with two USB sockets, and began charging my SZ-30MR as well as my Li-50c (external battery holder permitting charging) from that. I also charged from a USB hub rated at 4 Amp.

With the batteries charged with both the devices above, sometimes the camera would not turn on. Occasionally the camera screen displayed a message saying the camera had overheated and was cooling down.

On the Open Forum I was told that Li-ions have an internal cut-out that operates when overcharging takes place.

It appears that with normal charging, the camera (or the Li-50c) tells the black thingy that plugs into the mains to switch off when the light goes off. With off-brand charging (ie my USB hub and the 2-port plug pack) nothing gets turned off, so over-charging takes place until the battery cuts out to prevent overheating.

Since the Li-90 is basically a higher-rated Li-50, the same may apply.

The work-around is - when the camera light goes out disconnect the off-brand charger. This does add the inconvenience that the charging must be supervised.

I have gone back to using the square black thingies supplied with the cameras as well as the Li-50c, since I do not usually supervise the charging. I no longer experience that the camera will not turn on with a newly charged battery.

Henry

-- hide signature --
 Henry Falkner's gear list:Henry Falkner's gear list
Olympus SP-570 UZ Olympus SH-50 Olympus Stylus SH-1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow