Started May 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: I Will Not Shoot JPGs
In reply to DonA2, May 22, 2013

DonA2 wrote:

Don_Campbell wrote:

Small sensors interestingly make for a wide variety of cameras from snapshooters to sophisticated image makers. In the latter category, we have such cameras as the SX50--the camera used by our original poster. I say interestingly, because the small sensor is not just a limitation--it also lends some particular advantages to camera design. Only a small sensor camera permits me to have a 24mm to 1200mm equivalent zoom range in a package that weighs slightly over half a kg.

A short time ago I stood next to a guy who was far more expensively equipped than I, shooting falcons high above us on a cliff. He had a 600mm Canon lens on his DSLR. That rig was mounted on a tripod that was both heavy and by itself was probably more expensive than my SX50. All told he probably had an investiment north of $16K in gear. Clearly that gear is exceptional and highly capable but it is also massive and time-consuming to setup break down. It also has a "reach" of about 1/2 that of my SX50. In addition, I get to quick-release my camera and virtually instantly switch from shooting at 1200mm equivalent to shoot at 24mm equivalent.

My little camera gives me the range to compete in some ways with the $16K kit and still use it for snapshots of grandchildren. Some folks call it a "bridge camera" which I find skips some points in oversimplifying a complex tool. It is an incredible machine capable of terrific images and sometimes it is useful to some of its users to squeeze a little more out of those images than the SOOC JPG gives them.

This all is not my message to you, Don, because you clearly know it without my saying it. You are clearly getting superb results from your cameras and show what can be done with care and skill. It is my message for those like the OP are making the trade-off without knowing exactly what they're trading.

Regards,

Don

Thanks for the comment on my gallery.  To some they may well be gussied up 'snapshots' and in many ways that could be true.  I tend, when possible, to fire off multiple shots for each subject, pick the best, dress it up in Picasa then catalogue.  Works well enough for me.

You covered it well on the limitations of bridge cameras (SZs) and the exceptional benefits.  Many people are now leaving the heavy gear at home and going the 'one pac' route.  These SZs, such as the SX40/ 50 are in a class by themselves when all the plusses and minuses are considered.  The subject of RAW vs JPEG will go on but in the end there will be a melding of the 2.  Maybe then all will be happy.

-- hide signature --

Don V. Armitage

When processor speed is extremely fast and extremely cheap along with extremely fast and cheap memory, RAW will be the only file anyone will shoot with.  Maybe a newer JPEG standard will be adopted or a universal RAW format.  Who knows, but a compressed file format isn't nearly as relevant as it used to be.

howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
:)New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow