I Will Not Shot in RAW

Started May 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
Re: "If you're happy with..."
In reply to jonrobertp, May 22, 2013

jonrobertp wrote:

is a quote often used to look down just a bit at what others are doing, or "happy with".  lol.

Another side to that picture is that the Q could be asked, Are you happy with...heavier/larger gear, or with...spending more time on computer....or...reduced buffer/fps...or, missed opportunity since the cam one uses most was not with me at the time.  etc.

They too are valid questions.  Maybe not for all, but for many.

Yeah, I can see it being interpreted that way.  I think there are definitely ways of wording statements like that so they have a much more negative connotation.  For example, "if you're okay with the minimum" or "if you don't need better image quality" or something else that implies you're working with an inferior format that is not worth using.  I have tried to avoid that tone by stating very clearly that very often I use JPEGs as I almost always shoot in RAW+JPEG mode.  I fly through the JPEGs to quickly view my work, transmit files I want through email or post online quickly, but I never make very large prints from JPEG if I can help it.  Mind you, I do have a 16X24, 15X40 panorama, and two 11X14's framed and hanging in my home that were originally shot in JPEG only.  Those were shot back when I believed all the nonsense about how RAW was a waste of time, and even if I didn't buy that garbage memory was expensive and I was looking for any reason to avoid spending money and learning a new and intimidating skill.

Now that I know the truth about RAW I kick myself for not taking advantage of it more often in the past.  I may still have gone with JPEG some of the time and reserved RAW for shots I knew were going to become large prints.

Fortunately the 7D has a relatively deep RAW buffer, and switching to JPEG for events where the depth is definitely going to be used makes perfect sense.  Also, the G1 X doesn't have much of a buffer to speak of anyway so using RAW doesn't cause undue inconvenience.  This is exactly why no one tool is good for everything.  Trust me, if I could buy a G2 X that focused like my 7D with the same frame rate and butter depth along with a lens matching or exceeding the 15-85 in IQ that was more like 15-200 it might very well be the only camera I'd ever carry.  It doesn't exist and probably never will....optics are slower to come along than digital technology.

Just as there isn't a singe best tool for carrying, there isn't a single best tool for file types.  They both have distinct advantages and disadvantages.  However, there is no need whatsoever to sit down and discuss in excrutiating detail only the disadvantages of either one.  If I discussed only how JPEG files are created and then simply said "but there is another format that is exactly what the sensor originally captures and it has X times more information to work with" I think the uninitiated might act on that information without knowing the full story.

howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
:)New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow