ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Arnold Robert Abrams MD
New MemberPosts: 23
Like?
Rather poor resolution of Fuji?
May 22, 2013

Fuji X-E1 and X-Pro1

I am retired and now travel rather extensively.  Heretofore, I have used a (by now long of tooth) Canon 40D with 24-105 L and 70-200/4.0 L lenses, along with a Canon S90 which I always keep with me.  However, like many, age and infirmity are catching up with me, and the size and weight of the gear is now burdensome for travel.

I do not wish to give up my Canon SLR, but will not use it mostly for local travel and action events, though I may replace the body at some point with a Full Frame.

For travel, I am considering, as are many of you, replacing the SLR with something smaller and lighter.  My short list includes the Fuji X series, the Sony NEX 6/7, and the Olympus OM-D. all with appropriate zooms.

In comparing these cameras using the DP review "Image Quality" panels, I have noticed something that concerns me.

If one compares the above cameras by selecting them against the Fuji (either one, as they appear virtually identical) the Fuji sensors appear to lack resolution.  Look for example just to the northwest of the grey haired lady near the center (apparently a banknote), at the junction of her hair meets the magenta/red and the green and purple fabrics.  The red margin of the red fabric contains a fine checkerboard pattern which is quite apparent in all but the Fuji where it is all but invisible.  Likewise, the colored "puffballs" just below her and to the left, are much more distinct and d"fuzzy in the other three cameras.

There are other areas where similar lack of fine detail are apparent.

(Please note that the G1X is a zoom lens while the others are either primes or prime macro lenses, so that comparison of that camera with the others is unfair at the periphery of the field where the zoom exhibits considerable aberration at the close distances employed here.)

I have not seen this noted elsewhere, though it probably has been, but I am unable to explain it it view of the widespread praise seen here an elsewhere.

Any suggestions, as I really like the "feel" of the camera otherwise?

-- hide signature --

Travphoto

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS 40D Canon PowerShot S90 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-Pro1
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow