I Will Not Shot in RAW

Started May 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
DonA2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,039Gear list
Like?
Re: I Will Not Shoot JPGs
In reply to Don_Campbell, May 22, 2013

Don_Campbell wrote:

I apologize in advance for being repetitive. Raw capability is more of an aid in small sensor cameras than it is in large sensor DSLRs. That's because it can give you greater control over noise reduction which is more of a small sensor problem. It can also let you control sharpening better than the in-camera processing and it gives you more ability to get the most out of the limited dynamic range of the small sensor.

If you're happy with your results without those advantages, as you seem to be, that's totally fine with me. However, it is not true that raw capability is more important for larger sensor cameras. Those large sensor cameras have far less need for customized noise reduction and customized sharpening and they have far less of an issue with dynamic range.

Don

Don, I got the message on small sensors benefitting more than larger sensors when it comes to DR and noise. However my take is that people who buy small sensor cameras do not go for absolute perfection.  No doubt that RAW allows for greater processing range and one should try for the best end game possible.

Right now my 3 cameras haven't allowed (without add-ons) for raw and Canon is right that 98% of P&S shooters only use JPEG.  So that is what I refer to when I state that small sensor cams = JPEG shooters.  Personally I will accept some limitations to gain the advantages.  But hey, that's just me.

-- hide signature --

Don V. Armitage

DonA2's gear list:DonA2's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
:)New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow