NEX-6 and focusing on toddler??

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
bill hansen
Veteran MemberPosts: 7,774
Like?
Re: Lens recommendations
In reply to wb2trf, 11 months ago

With the 1650PZ lens, I think increasing the amount of light is your only solution indoors. Sometimes even turning on enough indoor lights and leaving shades/window blinds up in the daytime can be enough - but flash surely helps. Since you are just beginning this, my vote would be to try the built-in flash of the NEX first, not worrying about "redeye" or bounce flash. Shutter priority at 1/160 will help a lot. Be sure you hear the beep and see the green rectangle so you know the camera has locked focus!

If you (eventually) decide to get a faster lens - for indoor shots of a baby or toddler, I think my choice would be a 30 or 35mm lens. For adults using the APS-C sensor of the NEX, 35 or 50mm would be ideal, but for very small children 30mm works very well.

If you get the 50mm f1.8 - be sure to upgrade your camera's firmware to 1.01 and the lens firmware to v 2. I forgot to do that - very embarrassing error on my part!

Somewhat different thought on lenses -

-- hide signature --

Bill Hansen
Ithaca NY, USA

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow