Is a Pentax K-01 a good upgrade from a point-n-shoot?

Started May 22, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
6BQ5
New MemberPosts: 1
Like?
Is a Pentax K-01 a good upgrade from a point-n-shoot?
May 22, 2013

I used to be a very enthusiastic film photographer in the 80s and 90s when I was a teenager. My father and I used to go on many trips together and we both had our SLRs in hand. Mine was a Ricoh XR-M and he had a Pentax ME-Super. Fast forward to the present day and I have grown away from big complex cameras and moved toward simple point-n-shoot units. Right now I have a Fuji F550EXR and it works well enough I suppose. There's ample manual capability that I can make up for most strange color balances and exposures. Composition is always king. Get that right and everything else usually follows.

Zoom lenses are nice but I always thought of them as compromises. They work well enough for most people in most conditions but I always thought that fixed focal length lenses were superior and better optimized. Less distortion, more resolution, higher quality. I'm thinking of jumping over to a mirror-less compact camera and re-experiencing "the good old days" when I had better control of my frame and my optics.

I heard of the Pentax K-01 and it looks like a decent camera. There's not much technically wrong with it from what I can see except the movie mode (rolling shutter) but I don't record movies. What I really like about this camera is the native  K-mount on the body. That gives me a lot of lens options. I checked eBay just now and there were something like 9000+ lens listed worldwide. Ok, so they're not all autofocus. I get it. That's still a lot of good lenses and accessories to choose from.

Is this a good camera body to jump to from my Fuji? Will I have buyers remorse? I live in a small town where the coyotes and wild horses outnumber everything else around here. There's a near to nothing chance I can try one in a store, especially considering that the model is seemingly discontinued.

Thanks!

-=- Boris

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Panasonic Lumix DMC-F5 Pentax K-01
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow