Started May 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Trevor G
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,410Gear list
Like?
X20 vs X10 - Portrait 2 at M size. Processed via Silkypix 5
May 22, 2013

At the risk of offending the X10 diehards (I was one once, before the X20) I post M size shots of the musician portrait.

Here is a previous thread with L size images from RAW, which is not really fair for the X10 because its best RAW output is at M size.

http://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/3479638

The only downside for M size X10 RAW is that sometimes colour tone will be subjectively better from the JPEG than you can easily get from the RAW.  However, in all other areas, the RAW will give superior output.

It's the reverse for L size X10 images, which never come as good (but very close) to the L size ooc JPEGs.  JPEGs at L will tend to be sharper and more detailed (less fuzzy) than RAW, although if you double sharpening settings you will get very close results.

Actually, since I didn't shoot the X20 in M I have reduced it to M size.  The X10 was shot in M.

First, the X20:

And here is the X10:

X10 shot at M size, its best output. Colour tone settings (and all others) at default, NR zeroed

Oh, I also adjusted the Center Contast control equally for both images to lift the hair a little, to make detail there (or lack of it) more visible.  I'll do some crops to make it easier to see the differences.

In the meantime look at the hair, the fingers and the jeans to see all the extra detail that the X20 reveals.  If you must  also look at all the noise you get with the X20, which is still just visible at M size.  Of course, slight NR adjustments will take that away, but I used zero NR to help show each camera at its best.

Enjoy.

-- hide signature --

Cheers
Trevor G
Silkypix tutorials at: http://photo.computerwyse.com

Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X20
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow