Focusing screen not square (450d/XSi)

Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
photonius
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,071
Like?
Re: Focusing screen not square (450d/XSi)
In reply to AnthonyL, 11 months ago

AnthonyL wrote:

WilbaW wrote:

I'd try it on a tripod so that you can be sure it's not you tilting the camera when you press the shutter button.

Tripod makes no difference.  The dots don't align exactly with the squares.

It's easy to remove and replace the focus screen in a 450D if you know what you're doing, but yeah, daunting the first time and easy to mess up. 

I don't know if replacing would make a difference, I was hoping to rotate.

I have the same feeling with my 550D, I tried  using the dots for alignment, and then it's not straight in the final picture. I have not done a rigorous test, but when I tilt the camera a bit so the dots don't quite line up (in opposite direction of the tilt), then it looks more straight afterwards. As suggested, in live view that problem shouldn't exist.

I suspect it may not be unusually for the viewfinder to be off by 1 or 2 degrees - which is of course not desired. I will have to test it seriously with the camera on a tripod and a level to make sure all is perfectly aligned (a horizon may not always be horizontal either).

The reason I am not surprised about variation is that in my 550D, the central spot exposure metering point was actually not in the center at all, but substantially off to the right. Took Canon several attempts to fix it, because initially they didn't figure out what was wrong, I had to pinpoint the exposure problem for them.

-- hide signature --

Check out the unofficial Rebel Talk FAQ - http://snipurl.com/RebelFAQ

Do you have the full URL for the RebelFAQ site - Firefox is warning me against going to that URL, presumably because snipurl has been used for linking to some dodgy sites?

-- hide signature --

*** Life is short, time to zoom in *** ©

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow