Started May 22, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Jeff Peterman
Forum ProPosts: 10,367Gear list
Like?
Another vote for an S110 as a secondary camera
May 22, 2013

This weekend, I went to a friends wedding. My wife and I were there as guests, but "just in case" I had my 7D with 17-55 attached, and my S110 in my pocket. As the wedding started, I realized that they didn't have a photographer. I pulled out the 7D and started snapping away, using available light and ISO 1600 or ISO 3200. After the ceremony, they had a reception, also inside, I I took the S110 out of my pocket and took a bunch of shots, mostly at the widest end of the lens (where the camera does best) with the flash. That evening, I imported the shots with Lightroom, processed the RAW files and selected the best images (around 60) and put them up on Smugmug for the couple. I sent them an e-mail, with the unexpected link to the shots.

I've since heard from them and they are very grateful  They are an older couple, who didn't want the fuss of a professional photographer. They both hate the impact that a professional photographer has on a wedding, and hadn't even noticed me shooting (keeping the 7D to available light and using the small S110 for flash shots was very "stealthy"), yet felt that the photos were wonderful.

From my perspective, shooting in RAW and knowing the capabilities of both cameras let me take some decent (I'm not sure that "wonderful" really applies) shots, and certainly get images that should hold up well on Web views and prints of 8x10 or less. The S110 worked very well as a secondary camera in this situation.

If I'd known that they didn't have a pro, I'd probably have taken a second body (40D), the 70-200 f2.8L IS, a 10-22, plus flash gear and various flash modifiers and brackets - I would have gotten better images but made the couple much less happy than they were with my impromptu shooting!

-- hide signature --

Jeff Peterman, Moderator 7D and Phone/Tablet forums.
Not a staff member, or paid employee, of DPReview.
Any insults, implied anger, bad grammar and bad spelling, are entirely unintentionalal. Sorry.
www.pbase.com/jeffp25
www.jeffp25.smugmug.com

Jeff Peterman's gear list:Jeff Peterman's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ40 Canon PowerShot S110 Canon EOS 7D Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM +16 more
Canon EOS 7D Canon PowerShot S110
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow