Started 11 months ago | Discussions thread
DonA2
Senior MemberPosts: 2,004Gear list
Like?
Re: I Will Not Shoot JPGs
In reply to Lee Jay, 11 months ago

ljfinger wrote:

DonA2 wrote:

Well, they (Canon) didn't include RAW in the SX10/ 40.  I have both and haven't missed it.  My wife's S100 has it.  Doesn't know how to use it and certainly doesn't care or even knows what it means.

If she doesn't know, that's why she doesn't care.

Having skipped the SX50 I do look forward to the 60 and I still won't make use of it.  Actually, I might take a quick look just to see why I don't really care.

How do you know you won't care if you actually understand it?

If you shoot in high dynamic range conditions, or if you miss perfect exposure or white balance, or if you shoot at high-ISO and want to get better detail recovery or lower noise, then raw can help a great deal.

If you always shoot at low ISO and always nail exposure and white balance, then the advantages of shooting raw are much smaller.

The food analogy is valid.  If you buy cooked, prepared food, it can be good.  But if you buy raw food and cook it yourself, you have the opportunity to cook it the way you want it, instead of the way some cook you don't know thought it should be.  Shooting in JPEG means your cook is an engineer in Japan that hasn't seen your subjects or your photos.  There's not necessarily something wrong with that (I shoot in JPEG a lot as well), but it is restrictive, especially so if the conditions are difficult.

-- hide signature --

Lee Jay
(see profile for equipment)

Lee Jay, You know I agree with you on the benefits of RAW and I do understand it.  Until, (if) I move up into something more than a tiny sensor, fixed lens zoom camera it won't be of much interest.  I am a fully dedicated SZ shooter and fully accept it's limitations.  Lazy and old may be my best defence but RAW simply demands more than I care to give it.

-- hide signature --

Don V. Armitage

DonA2's gear list:DonA2's gear list
Canon PowerShot S2 IS Canon PowerShot SX10 IS Canon PowerShot S100 Canon PowerShot SX40 HS
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
:)New
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow