Michael Siemon
Regular MemberPosts: 229Gear list
Like?
Oops (my bad) Re: Test Nikkor 18-35mm G /photozone
In reply to gatorowl, May 22, 2013

gatorowl wrote:

Michael Siemon wrote:

breivogel wrote:

This review is in line with my personal experience. Comparing it to the 16-35VR review on photozone, one can see superior sharpness in the corners of the 18-35 at the wide end, and mostly similar performamce  in other respects.

Really? That's not how I read the MTF numbers. Only at f/11 (which is getting into diffraction territory) is it close to the 16-35. Even at f/8, the corners are around 80% of the MTF values of the 16-35 (except at 35, where the 18-35 is a touch better than the 16-35). Center sharpness _is_ very good everywhere, and the new 18-35 is a LOT better than the older AF-D version. Wide open, the 18-35 is substantially less sharp in edges/corners than the 16-35 -- around 55% or so.

-- hide signature --

Michael L. Siemon

Let's be fair here reading the charts and looking at borders:

You're right -- my apologies. I ran the values into a spreadsheet, but then managed to mung up the formulas comparing the two lenses. When done correctly, the results are indeed damned impressive!

-- hide signature --

Michael L. Siemon

Michael Siemon's gear list:Michael Siemon's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon D7100 Sony Alpha 7 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 10-24mm f/3-5-4.5G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 16-35mm f/4G ED VR +10 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow