Is it OK to "steal" pictures for school reports, etc?

Started May 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
Victor Engel
Forum ProPosts: 15,255Gear list
Like?
Just ask for permission
In reply to tkbslc, May 21, 2013

tkbslc wrote:

My first grader is doing a report on eagles.  We were thinking of printing a few pictures from some websites to use in the project.   But then I got thinking, is this photo theft or a copyright violation?  Isn't there some provision made for educational use?

Or I guess another question might be, would you be angry if you found out someone used a picture you had taken for a school project?

Just ask the copyright holder for permission. I get such requests from time to time myself and am happy to oblige. If you can contact the author, you almost certainly will get permission. Also use this as an educational opportunity. Teach the child how to get the appropriate attribution and permission. You might also get more specific information about the picture that's not posted on the website.

-- hide signature --

Victor Engel

Victor Engel's gear list:Victor Engel's gear list
Canon EOS 600D Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 II Canon EF 135mm f/2.0L USM Canon EF 300mm f/4.0L IS USM Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM +7 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow