How do you delete your unneeded photos or do you hoard them like me?

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
qianp2k
Forum ProPosts: 10,350Gear list
Like?
Re: How do you delete your unneeded photos or do you hoard them like me?
In reply to nekrosoft13, May 21, 2013

nekrosoft13 wrote:

William DIllard wrote:

sethmarshall wrote:

This may seem like the wrong forum, but I want to make sure to separate this discussion from those who use smaller MP cameras (i.e. smaller file sizes) and also have advice from professionals who are used to having huge libraries.

Space isn't the issue, it's more I sometimes feel I have a hoarding issue, especially now that I have an infant.  I can't seem to delete anything except when the shot is clearly blown and unusable.  I'll still hold onto the alternate, the 3rd, the 4th, and everything in between.

The question is more of discipline with other photographers when permanently deleting photos.  How do you approach this?  Or is it common to keep it all?

I come from a background where I do not edit my photos.  I know how but professionally I take a ton and pass them off.  As a result I'm not disciplined in flagging, rating, and other tools to help make favorites accessible.  This may be why I feel my hoarding is an issue.

Hoarding pictures actually ruined my first computer and I lost a lot of good Raw files. Great pictures gone forever. If you just have to keep stuff then use an external hard drive and put them there. I have an external hard drive about the size of a transistor radio that they used to carry. If you don't really expect to use your pictures either delete them or put it on the external drive. They are simple to use. Just plug n play ! I think mine is one terabyte in size !

pictures don't ruin PCs, pictures are just files. PCs (and for those of Apple cult, Macs as well), hard drive, CDs, DVDs those all fail, sooner or later it will fail.

That's why if you want to keep holding on to your memories, make backups, and plenty of backups.

I have my pictures on 3 separate hard drives:

1) main PC, internal

2) server, internal (automatic backup)

3) external hard drive (off site, locked up in my desk at work, bring it home once every two weeks to sync)

4) Cloud storage. So you don't need to carry with, bullet and fire proved and can be accessed everywhere with a decent internet connection

And based on your description, you still only have one hard drive, so I hate to break it to you, if you keep this up you WILL LOOSE YOUR PICTURES AGAIN.

-- hide signature --
 qianp2k's gear list:qianp2k's gear list
Sony RX100 Canon EOS-1D Mark III Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 5D Mark III Sony Alpha 7R +20 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow