How do you delete your unneeded photos or do you hoard them like me?

Started Apr 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
keithinmelbourne
Contributing MemberPosts: 665Gear list
Like?
I keep less than 5%
In reply to sethmarshall, May 21, 2013

sethmarshall wrote:

This may seem like the wrong forum, but I want to make sure to separate this discussion from those who use smaller MP cameras (i.e. smaller file sizes) and also have advice from professionals who are used to having huge libraries.

Space isn't the issue, it's more I sometimes feel I have a hoarding issue, especially now that I have an infant.  I can't seem to delete anything except when the shot is clearly blown and unusable.  I'll still hold onto the alternate, the 3rd, the 4th, and everything in between.

The question is more of discipline with other photographers when permanently deleting photos.  How do you approach this?  Or is it common to keep it all?

I come from a background where I do not edit my photos.  I know how but professionally I take a ton and pass them off.  As a result I'm not disciplined in flagging, rating, and other tools to help make favorites accessible.  This may be why I feel my hoarding is an issue.

I honestly don't see the point of keeping repetitive shots or those that come cloe to being 'the one'. Sure you might have several TBs of space but do you have the time to look at them all?

keithinmelbourne's gear list:keithinmelbourne's gear list
Fujifilm X100S Fujifilm X20 Canon EOS-1Ds Mark III Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS 100D +19 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow