50mm f1.8 Tilt-Shift Portraits

Started May 18, 2013 | Discussions thread
g_r_w
Regular MemberPosts: 384
Like?
Re: 50mm f1.8 Tilt-Shift Portraits
In reply to SirSeth, May 21, 2013

pixelcollector wrote:

I personally don't see the advantage of your going to the trouble with this quirky setup over applying weird looking fake DoF effects in post (and I'm not a fan of the latter by any means).

If just a test, well, cool. If you believe this effect adds to the artistic quality of the photos, I'd love your take on how it does this better than post processing would. Honest inquiry, sorry for being blunt.

Cool. No need to apologize about being blunt. I know some people take every statement as a personal value statement about their worth as a person, but I can see the validity of asking the questions you imply in your comments.

First, my perspective differs on what "going to all the trouble means." I really like making things. There is satisfaction in coming up with ideas that haven't been tried before (in this case, my implementation with plumbing fittings for uber cheap. It works nicely even if more than a bit ugly). I build experimental guitars and currently I'm working on a wooden 16" band saw. It's my double dose of DIY syndrome that I feel both saves me a lot of money and fuels my brain in the long run. I know not everyone is like me (thank the good Lord), but having a few of us around can't hurt either. As far as what folks pay for a really good tilt-shift from Canon... well... I paid $30 total for this little experiment and I guess they have good reasons to use theirs for creative stuff and perspective correction that can't be duplicated in post.

As far as effect goes. I do feel that this effect adds to the artistic quality of the photos. Luckily artistic quality is in the eye of the beholder and I have some subjects who want their shots to reflect more of their internal dreamy creative personality than their external image. To me that means giving them something beyond a standard view through our eye sockets. DOF is someting the eyes have a hard time doing. It makes photography a natural fantasy of physics and art. I love that! These creatives probably would love it if I put wings or a cape on them. No it wouldn't work for everyone and I get that. I don't need it to. I think these shots were a little more tilt than needed, but I was having fun and my subject really likes them. As far as the tilt lens doing better than post processing--that's very easy to answer. I've not seen this done convincingly in post--especially by me.  While I really believe in the powers of post processing I'm not much for those who, for example, argue that no on really should want full frame and fast lenses for portraits when you can add a shallow depth of field in photoshop. Logically, I can see that their point has some truth to it. Photoshop is powerful. But they are also dumb as rocks for excluding in their equation personal preference and the multitudinous reasons why people buy their gear.

The last reason: I won't have to pay a monthly subscription cost to use my tilt lens. d:)

Cheers,

Seth

-- hide signature --

What if the hokey pokey really is what it's all about?
--
wallygoots.smugmug.com
wallygoots.blogspot.com

The reason why many would buy an expensive tilt shift lens is generally not for this affect, but actually the reverse. In landscape photography, it is common to want everything in focus, from blades of grass in the foreground to mountains on the horizon.

Shift is used for perspective correction and sometimes with a bit of tilt to straighten up buildings.

Lensbaby are creative lenses for artistics effects - just like yours, but they are different beasts to actual tilt/shift lenses.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow