Started May 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
unknown member
(unknown member)
Like?
No coincidence at all.
In reply to Marco Nero, May 21, 2013

Marco Nero wrote:

This about sums it up...

I don't use RAW either.  Especially with Cameras of today's generation.  The Canon JPEG engine is so good now that you can usually get a VERY clean file out of it.  If you want to raise hidden shadow detail or lower details hidden in the highlights, you can usually do that with the JPEG if you really need to, epsecially on the recent models.  A lot of Canon 5D III users are now shooting in JPEG these days for this reason.

Still, if you shoot weddings or something that risk blown out highlights in direct sunlight, RAW might be useful to you.  Otherwise, I don't see the fuss these days for the average non-pro user unless they just enjoy tinkering with their photographs for pleasure.

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Marco Nero.
www.pbase.com/nero_design

This user shot a RAW, ran it through the same processing the camera would have done anyway, saved it as a JPEG, and saw no difference in two identical files.  I'm shocked.  He has a fundamental misunderstanding of what RAW can do for him.  You have a fundamental lack of need or desire to use RAW files.  Both thought processes lead to the same conclusion.  For many people who like to use all the data possible when exercising their creative vision the differences are important.  Making sure an image is exactly what they want and can be evaluated and changed on a large monitor attached to a very powerful computer can be the difference between great image quality and stunning image quality.  The balance of what one chooses to show in an image is not defined only by what the monitor, printer, or human eye are capable of.  Working within the limitations of those parameters can produce much different results when the photographer has maximum control of how they are expressed in the final output.

howardroark's gear list:howardroark's gear list
Canon PowerShot G1 X
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
:)New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow