New laptop for photo editing - Alienware?

Started May 21, 2013 | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Birddogman
Senior MemberPosts: 1,139Gear list
Like?
New laptop for photo editing - Alienware?
May 21, 2013

My old laptop is on its last legs and needs to be replaced before it dies completely.

I use my laptop for business (documents, emails, use as a virtual office by connecting from remote locations to my office system); for some gaming; for streaming Netflix and the like; and, of course, for photo editing with CS5.

It must be a laptop because I am an M&A lawyer and I work mostly from various odd locations, such as my motorhome in the middle of nowhere.  It must be a PC to work with my main office system - no Apple stuff.  I can carry a laptop with up to a 17" screen, so that's what I will need in the new machine.

I am NOT a computer expert, nor can I "build" a laptop, so please don't suggest that.

So, I was thinking that a good gaming computer would give me the ability to do business (which doesn't really require much computing power), should have plenty of power for working with large photo files in CS5 without bogging down; and, should also work with modern games that seem to use vast amount of computing power.

Do you agree?

If so, what do you recommend?

I see the Alienware line from Dell and it looks good, but costs about twice as much as what appears to be similar stuff off the shelf.  Cost isn't the main issue because I want something that will meet my needs and hopefully last a good long time, but I don't want to spend unnecessarily either.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Birddogman's gear list:Birddogman's gear list
Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +1 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow