I've got my first Wedding coming up, and I need to practice.

Started 11 months ago | Questions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
paulo79
Regular MemberPosts: 277Gear list
Like?
I've got my first Wedding coming up, and I need to practice.
11 months ago

That is true in more ways than one, as I am getting married in August, but a friend of mine from way back when has asked me to be the Photographer at his wedding in December. So, along with lots of other preparation I am doing I need to start getting myself together for him. I won't be charging (except for the fact that I have a garden which needs to be levelled and he has a digger) but I do intend to give them the best that I can give.

I know December is a long way off, but I have a feeling I might be very busy in the next few months so I'm thinking that the sooner I get my stuff together on this one the better.

Now, equipment wise I think I am OK. I think I will take the following with me:

• EM5, 12mm f2, 45mm f2, 75mm f2, 25mm f1.4 (43 mount), 17.5mm f0.95, 50mm f2.
  • Fl600R and FL50R flashes.
  • 4 camera batteries, 4 sets of AA batteries for the Flashes, 3 4GB SD cards.
  • 'New' PDAF camera if available with my 12-60mm, otherwise something like an EPL5 or an EP5 (price depending).

I will also be setting up my older E3 with a cheaper lens, cable remote and elinchrom D-Lite as a photo booth. I will be putting this together for my own wedding. This is a bonus set up, but hopefully it will get some nice pics. Also, depending on the results I get between now and then I intend to use an Pentax 645 to take a few of the couples portraits once I am happy that I have the shots in digital.

Now location wise I still need to talk to the couple as to the location of the ceremony and reception. For the brides preparations in the morning I want to use the 45mm f1.8 and the 17.5mm f0.95. No flash. The church is probably going to be dark and cold. I don't intend to use flash and am thinking that   the 75mm on my EM5 will be good for the couple shots. I have had a lot of good pictures at gigs, boxing matches, etc. with that lens where the lighting has been bad and there are tight groups of people. On the other body I am thinking of the 17.5 f0.95 so I can capture the wider picture without sacrificing quality.

I will need to find a good spot as well for the pictures after church. As it will be the middle of winter in Ireland I can expect almost any weather, from full on gales to bitter freezing snow, or maybe even a bright sunny day. What I will probably have is grey skies and rain. Having said that if the weather is good I can expect stunning light. Sunset is about 1625 that day (location dependent) so if I plan it right and we have some luck it could be great. For some Wedding ring shots, etc. I will use the 50mm f2 for the sharpest possible results.

At the reception I will probably use the 25mm f1.4 with the Fl600r at the beginning of the evening. I find it is a great set up for a group of people. Smiles all round, click, then one for luck and off they go. When the lights go down it will probably be back to the 17.5 and the 75.

This is my initial plan, and as such will probably be revised 100 times. I am luck in that I know the families, so I know when to say please, and when to use threats to get the shots we need! My future wife will be running around helping me out, cajoling people into place and generally been very useful. She is a Wedding Harpist, and knows the wedding game very well so I suspect she will be invaluable.

I will be meeting with the couple in about 2 weeks, and will be bring examples of pictures from events, portraits, etc. I will familiarise myself with the wedding photo must have pictures, but I don't intend to bamboozle them with that sort of info unless they ask. Deliverable wise I will create a DVD for them, and prints of some select photos. If they want an album I will show them options, but that is something they will have to pay for.

So, I ask you; what else should I be doing? Thanks for reading, and thanks for your help.

-- hide signature --
 paulo79's gear list:paulo79's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus E-M1 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 12-60mm 1:2.8-4.0 SWD Panasonic Leica D Summilux Asph 25mm F1.4 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm 1:1.8 +3 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Olympus E-3 Olympus PEN E-P5 Olympus PEN E-PL5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow