I Will Not Shot in RAW

Started May 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
Barry Pearson
Veteran MemberPosts: 5,593Gear list
Like?
Re: I Will Not Shot in RAW
In reply to Norman B, May 21, 2013

Norman B wrote:

For sure and I understand that. The easiest way I can explain it is to use the old film days as an analogy. The RAW image is like the negative and the JPEG is like the final print that was returned from wherever when the the film was developed. An image shot in JPEG is the cameras processor's version of what information is needed in the image. The camera discards what information if feels is not needed and it is gone from the JPEG. The JPEG is now the equivelant of a print returned from developing That usually leaves little room for major changes in PP. A RAW image leaves all of the information intact and a person can PP with all of the information that is available and make his own JPEG.

Analogies run out of steam!

Raw is certainly not like a processed negative. Perhaps closer to an undeveloped negative. You get the chance to develop it various ways (for years to come). Printing comes later.

The camera is incapable of reliably making all the decisions about what information is needed in the image. But I accept that it gets it right often enough for many people.

Barry Pearson's gear list:Barry Pearson's gear list
Pentax K-7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF1 Pentax K-5 Pentax Q Pentax K-5 IIs +21 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
:)New
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
(unknown member)
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow