Started May 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
Travis
Veteran MemberPosts: 3,177Gear list
Like?
Memory Storage for an upcoming trip with the RX100
May 21, 2013

I'll be taking the RX100 on our upcoming trip to Disneyworld in July.  My wife will have the Panasonic LX7.  Right now, I have a 32gb memory card in my RX100 and she has a 16gb card.  Obviously, that's not going to be enough given our lengthy stay (7 days), and we plan to shoot a great deal of video along with photos.

With that in mind, I'm wondering what the best solution would be for memory while in the parks and for archiving each day after we get back to the hotel.  So here are my specific questions:

1)  How much space will I need each day at the parks?  Assume I take lots of video (probably over an hour each day, I'm guessing) and photos (probably shooting mostly JPG, but maybe some RAW+JPG).

2)  What is the best solution for dumping the contents of the memory cards when they are full?  Are there any reasonably priced portable storage devices out there with memory card readers, so do we need to use our laptop?  I'm almost afraid of dumping all of the contents to our laptop (having all of our eggs in one basket, so to speak), but I'm guessing that's probably the best solution?

3)  Since memory cards are relatively cheap, I suppose I could just buy multiple cards and leave the content on them for the duration of the trip?   I really have no idea, however, how much total storage space I will need in all?   I'll be shooting at full 1080p/60, which I believe requires approximately 12-13 GB/hr and I may very well be shooting 1-2 hrs of video each day.  When all is said and done, I can see us possibly using close to a 1TB of data for the whole trip (7 days at Disney plus a couple of days in Tampa to visit her family).  Does that sound outrageous or is that actually sound reasonable?   If so, then obviously buying multiple memory cards is probably going to be prohibitively expensive...

Thanks for any suggestions,

Travis

-- hide signature --
 Travis's gear list:Travis's gear list
Sony RX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Canon EOS 550D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GH2 Olympus OM-D E-M5 +5 more
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow