Going lightweight - what am I missing?

Started 11 months ago | Questions thread
er3
er3
Junior MemberPosts: 41Gear list
Like?
Re: Going lightweight - what am I missing?
In reply to Gibbosa, 11 months ago

Gibbosa wrote:

I know it's risky - but my days of emulating a pack horse are done.

I'm with you! It's actually why I purchased the Olympus OMD E-M5. And here's what I'm trying. It's a bit different but I'm going to give it a go to see how it works out. I've actually been testing this at home to make sure it works and things are going to the proper places. I'm doing some light hiking on a trip to London/Edinburgh for 10 days. In Scotland I'll be heading up to Isle of Skye and the Highlands. While not the roughest of trips, I will be on a few planes, trains, automobiles & buses this is a good opportunity to try out a new solution for trying to pack light.

I just really want to stress that this is something I am comfortable trying. Many will not be. I have not tested it on the road yet. Just around town for the past week or so w/ the 7D & Canon SX40. The OMD is new as of today so I'm going to step up my testing process.

64GB iPad Mini w/ ShutterSnitch app

2 x 16GB Eye-Fi cards (+ 2 regular SDHC cards)

iPad connector cable

I've created a direct link w/ my iPad & ShutterSnitch to import the RAW photos, grouped into daily collections. I can view them on the iPad and delete anything that I really really don't want. If I want to share it to FB, Instagram, Twitter, I can easily export to my regular camera roll (and add it to a photo stream I created for the trip). Saving things to the camera roll/photo stream also uploads it to the iCloud. I confirmed that it comes back out on the Aperture end as a RAW file.

At the end of the night (probably overnight) when there is WiFi, I upload the entire collection to DropBox & sync the *selected photos* w/ iCloud. This is not a fast process, hence doing it overnight is probably the way to go.

I calculated that, liberally, I'll want to keep 50-100 pics per day so that at maximum is 1000 photos. (I am trigger happy so part of this experiment is purging so I will hopefully end up w/ less than that.) 15mb x 1000 = 15,000MB = approx 14.64GB. I have plenty of room on my iPad for this and as long as I can back up nightly or every other night, I should be fine. Though I anticipate no WiFi in some remote parts of Scotland.

I don't plan on deleting anything off the cards until I confirm that the items have been successfully backed up to DropBox and only when I start to run out of room on them.

I have some more testing to do but it all seems to be working as planned (until it doesn't). I'll let you know how it goes. Pray for me & my photos! lol.

er3's gear list:er3's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Olympus OM-D E-M5 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow