I am downright impressed.....with the X-E1!

Started May 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
deednets
Senior MemberPosts: 2,361Gear list
Like?
Re: Don't go by the bits that way...
In reply to Raist3d, May 21, 2013

Raist3d wrote:

the RAW has files that are linearly stored while the JPEG is a non linear conversion varying in blocks of 8x8 (I think it was).  This means that the 8-bit value is actually weighted vs a base, giving it much more range that an linear 8bits of data may suggest.

Ask yourself this: what format are people sharing images on when they see a raw conversion that they go like "ooh and aaah" here on the screens? JPEG.

So the format can handle it. Of course, if you need to do post processing, then yes, you want more data.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - George Orwell

More want than need! I just love it ... and like extreme-ish lighting, did a little photo shoot on an overcast day near a beach with some exotic plants around. Dull light, but had external flashes and a softbox and took photos that looked like lost in dreams as if the photos were taken in moonlight. Can't show the pics here for privacy reasons, but I am sure you get my drift? There were lots of shadows and extreme light. In PP it is like painting with light - again - exposure was taken using a Sekonic 308s and a couple of 58GN flashes and exposure nailed for the face.

Speaking of which: maybe I should start a little thread regarding flash light meters, a shame that people don't use them more often, gives you a lot of creative power ...

The end result is, you are right about this, an 8-bit jpg, but there was a lot of stray light going both ways, over and under exposed. In RAW not really an issue, so before the conversion there were a few hoops. The end results look so natural, not a hint of PP, if you believe in fairy tales that is ...

Cheers

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Phase One Capture One Pro Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm X-T1 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow