Started May 21, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
jst4fun
Regular MemberPosts: 231
Like?
RX100 with external flash works great!
May 21, 2013

Ok, perhaps I am easy to impress but just before I was about to sell my Olympus FL36R flash (used on my old micro 4/3 setup), I decided to try it as a slave flash with the RX100.

WOW.  I thought it would be just luck and require dialing in unique power settings for every situation, but all I did was match my current aperture and ISO settings on my camera (I keep ISO 400 and F3.2 stored in memory 1 as my primary flash setup), and now I have the Olympus set to default to the same. Worked great at other combos as well, as long as they matched the camera.

Couldn't be happier with bouncing the big flash off the ceiling and RX100 flash facing forward for fill. I know I can use the camera flash as bounce by itself, but the results were quite different having both.

Anyway, just thought I would share. It also worked pretty well with my older Vivitar DF200 slave flash, which I am now going to post for sale (4 power levels available, which is enough granularity for most situations). FYI the bracket in the pic below is helpful, but it works just as well setting it somewhere else in the room aimed at the ceiling or just holding it in your hand.

Take care!

Sony RX100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow