*** this week through your m43 - 2013.05.20 ***

Started May 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
NZ Scott
Senior MemberPosts: 3,241Gear list
Like?
Macro (Oly 60/2.8), hornbills (Oly 75-300 II), seascapes (Oly 12/2.0)
In reply to Dreeke, May 21, 2013

Hey kids,

I bought an Olympus 75-300 II a few weeks ago because I'm expecting to need it on an African safari later this year. I haven't had many opportunities to use it yet, so when a friend invited me to her birthday on Pangkor Island (west coast of Malaysia) over the weekend I took the lens along hoping to spot some hornbills. I got lucky, as three of them flew into a tree near our spot on the beach to feed on some berries:

Check out those 'lashes!

Later, when I was photographing my friends, I tried some high-key portraits with the 75-300 II:

Amanda

So far I'm very impressed with the 75-300 II. It seems to offer excellent image quality through most of its focal range.

After a few hours (and quite a few beers) the sun started to set and I got the 12/2.0 out to play around with some landscape shots. The beach was quite featureless so I dragged a log into the surf to create some foreground interest. The first few shots looked pretty stink so I got out some filters - a B+W Kaesemann polariser, a 10-stop B+W ND3.0 filter and a Hitech 3-stop reverse grad - and started playing around with those to lengthen exposure times and even out tones. A friend of mine, Carmen came and leaned on the log and I told her to remain as still as possible for 5 seconds:

After a while she left and I got the shot I had originally visualised:

This morning I went for a wallk with the 60/2.8 Macro, which I haven't used for a little while. There wasn't much to shoot because council workers had recently mown all my favourite spots. I did get a couple of keepers though:

I've taken the next three weeks off work to help finish writing my novel, but am also planning to take the E-P3 out a few times as well.

Among other things, I've arranged to catch up with Robin Wong in Kuala Lumpur for some street shooting.

S

-- hide signature --
 NZ Scott's gear list:NZ Scott's gear list
Olympus PEN E-P3 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6G II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 7-14mm F4 ASPH Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 14-42mm 1:3.5-5.6 II R +9 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
NiceNew
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow