Canon 10mm vs 18mm for landscapes

Started May 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
plugin
Contributing MemberPosts: 798
Like?
Re: Canon 10mm vs 18mm for landscapes
In reply to jrkliny, May 21, 2013

jrkliny wrote:

I believe I was the one who used the term perspective.  To me it seems clear that different focal length lenses can alter the perspective in an image.  It, therefore, seemed clear that plugin was wrong.  Intuitively I just knew plugin was wrong.  Unfortunately I am the one who was wrong and my intuitive understanding of the issue was wrong.  A little online research clearly shows that perspective does not vary with the focal length of the lens but the variation is due to the position of the camera in relation to the objects.

Certainly wide and ultrawide lenses are powerful tools, but they do not alter true perspective.

-- hide signature --

Jim, aka camperjim. www.specialplacesphoto.com

Kind of you to say that - thanks!  FWIW, as I said I understand why so many people fall into that trap.  We hear constantly about using long or short lenses to alter perspective, and in practice it is not so far off, as we tend to alter subject distance based on lens selection too, so the connection seems intuitive. This is just one of those cases where what seems so straightforward happens to be misleading.

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow