My D800 after Nikon service shows great AFA diviation

Started May 20, 2013 | Questions thread
Petruska
Veteran MemberPosts: 6,637
Like?
NEVER send lens with a body for calibration...
In reply to Gil1980, May 21, 2013

Gil1980 wrote:

Hi all,

I shipped my D800 to calibrate and fix it's left focus issue which was confirmed to have that know bug.

I sent the camera together with my 14-24mm and the 80-200mm f/2.8

The 14-24 was sent because I tested the camera with this lens. The 80-200 was send for a regular calibration after being at my disposal since 1996.

Yesterday I used LensAlign MKII with FocusTune to calibrate my lenses and I was amazed to see that the above lenses shows perfect AFA value of 0. There is a slight shift to +1 when shifting from 14-24 and about the same with the 80-200.

However, I have a couple of lenses that I didn't think need service since they had sharp results with the D800.

Now, after the service, the nikon 50mm f/1.8 needs over +20 AFA and the nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 needs +15 @ 70mm.

I don't want to rush into conclusions but it seems that the camera was "fixed" by biasing the AFA values internally with the lenses I've sent them.

What do you guys think?

this is a long standing known fact and you just proved why!

Always send the body and lenses separately, Nikon Service just assumed that you wanted the combo calibrated together and that's the result.  Right now it looks like both the sent in body and the 2 lenses are not calibrated properly.  Try the two calibrated lenses on another D800 body to see how much they are off. Unfortuantely it looks like both the body and lenses need to go back.

Bob P.

selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow