Mixing Strobes and Speedlites

Started May 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
Carl S
Contributing MemberPosts: 924
Like?
Re: Mixing Strobes and Speedlites
In reply to TGM123, May 21, 2013

The most cost effective way to mix the two is to just turn on the built-in optical slave on the Bees or Einstein. When your speedlite fires, the Einstein (Bees) will fire.

Carl

TGM123 wrote:

Hi,

I am likely going to buy an Alienbees B800 or Einstein E6400 (Paul C Buff strobes) as I am starting to slowly build my strobe set up and associated experience. I currently am using a Canon 7D and 550EX flash for my on- and off-camera lighting work.

I would like to understand what options I have to use both the 550EX and Buff strobes together to leverage a two light set-up in the interim until I by additional strobes. I don’t mind using manual for all of the lighting configurations and would like to do it as cost effectively as possible. I have had minimal luck using the 7D as a master and the 5D as a slave as I do most of my work outdoors and the bright sunlight interferes. The Buff strobes all come with a PC cable that I can trigger the strobes with but I am not sure if I can also use a hotshoe mounted cord (e.g. OCFGear.com) to trigger the 550EX in addition to the PC cable. Will this work? Are there other options for doing this?

Thanks,

Tom

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow