Started May 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
ForumParentFirstPreviousNextNext unread
Flat view
clarkt
Contributing MemberPosts: 692
Like?
Looking back on Cybershots
May 20, 2013

Sony has put out some incredible compact cameras in the past ten years. I have owned the T50, T100, T900, and W300. I should say I 'still own'. I have kept all but the T50, which I gave to my daughter. I kept them because each model does some special thing exceptionally well. The T100 produces the best MPGs I've ever seen in a compact camera, the T900 does awesome insect macros and live music videos with exceptional stereo separation. The W300 makes gorgeous black & white portraits, etc. And the build quality is superior - on all these models.

I was thinking of selling them and upgrading to something more modern. Then I noticed that since about 2 years the T and W Cybershots no longer offer 3:2 aspect ratio. I was puzzled. Nope. Nada. No more. That threw me because I shoot a lot of 3:2. After a while I think I figured out why: Offering 3:2 in Cybershots nowadays will slow down users from upgrading to DSLR, which is native 3:2. Does it make sense?

I also noticed that since 2 years Sony's compacts are looking a little flimsy in their build quality. I figure that is for the same purpose, to encourage upgrading to DLSR.

But am I correct in saying that we can no longer get 3:2 in the T-Series? I haven't had time to search all the models.

-- hide signature --

-=C
http://cthompson.zenfolio.com
"The wind blows over the surface of the lake. In this way, the effects of the invisible are made visible." … I Ching

Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T100 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T50 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-T900 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-W300
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Flat view
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow