Upgrade to K5II or IIs or wait for the next model?

Started May 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
miles500
Contributing MemberPosts: 720Gear list
Like?
Re: Upgrade to K5II or IIs or wait for the next model?
In reply to audiobomber, May 20, 2013

audiobomber wrote:

miles500 wrote:

I was, however, for the most part not doing anything too difficult - merely attempting to focus on ducks swimming across a pond and I was surprised that quite a few shots did not focus properly.

Maybe the 55-300 is not really suited to this sort of thing and maybe I need a lens with HSM.

I used a K20D and K-x with a 55-300 for years. Ducks swimming on a pond should be no challenge at all with a K-5 and 55-300mm. I can't see how this could be due to the camera or lens unless they are malfunctioning. The 55-300 is known to hunt, but it should be accurate when it locks. You seem to be describing misfocussing, not hunting.

You need investigate further to see exactly where the problem lies. Have you tested AF accuracy? How about posting a couple of examples of poor images from the duck shoot, with exif so we can see your technique and settings?

Off topic - To minimize hunting, I always return the focus ring to infinity after I shoot. I do this with all my AF telephoto lenses, because I believe it is beneficial. I do it because, if the camera can't see an obvious target, it will search by moving focus inward. If the target is farther out, it's a long wait for the lens to rack back again. Acquiring focus when moving from minimum focus to infinity seems to be more difficult, and the 55-300 will often go right past the target. That's why I always recommend the original 55-300, with quick-shift.

-- hide signature --

Dan

Hi Dan,

That information is really useful and i will try your technique in the future.  Alas I have already deleted the poor images.

Miles

-- hide signature --

Miles500

miles500's gear list:miles500's gear list
Pentax K-5 IIs Pentax K-3 Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 55-300mm F4.0-5.8 ED Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +5 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow