Is it OK to "steal" pictures for school reports, etc?

Started May 20, 2013 | Discussions thread
Jeff
Veteran MemberPosts: 4,470
Like?
use mine, if you like ...
In reply to tkbslc, May 20, 2013

tkbslc wrote:

My first grader is doing a report on eagles.  We were thinking of printing a few pictures from some websites to use in the project.   But then I got thinking, is this photo theft or a copyright violation?  Isn't there some provision made for educational use?

Or I guess another question might be, would you be angry if you found out someone used a picture you had taken for a school project?

As a long time Univ. professor, I can assure you this is well within the fair use guidelines. If this was an older child, say 5th grade or up, then including a proper citation is actually an important part of the project.

But this is first grade!  Don't fret the citations -- maybe just say where it came from and have fun talking about how the photographer might have taken the shot, and perhaps experiment a bit trying to take your own shot of a backyard 'eagle'.

If you like, you're more than welcome to use mine  ... http://www.flickr.com/photos/jck_photos/sets/72157624712464851/  I've got some shots of a Bald Eagle, and of some nasty little Merlin falcons that nest outside our cabin door. Private message me if you'd like a bit more info on where and when this photos were taken. We're pretty fond the critters around our cabin.

-- hide signature --

Jeff

Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow