I am downright impressed.....with the X-E1!

Started May 19, 2013 | Discussions thread
deednets
Senior MemberPosts: 1,981Gear list
Like?
8-bit vs 14 bit/colour ...
In reply to wayfarers, May 20, 2013

wayfarers wrote:

Yes, modern JPEGs and RAWs have limited dynamic range when compared to human eye. This is one area which is being improved in the sensors, generation after generation, still a long way to go. However assuming that in camera conversion does its job correctly (and Fuji currently has the best JPEG engine) full dynamic range the sensor was able to record will be present in both JPEG and RAW files. Thus no external software will be able to improve dynamic range beyond what the sensor recorded, unless it extrapolates and guesses. Obviously you are correct if in camera JPEG engine is poor - not the case with Fuji.

There is actually quite a big difference between RAW and JPG. jpg in camera are, if I understand this right, recorded in 8-bit mode per colour channel whereas Fuji RAW files are recorded in 14-bit mode. That is 6 bit/channel more - or 64 times the colour information of the jpg.

This is in your opinion the same??

It seems that there is a lot of mis-information regarding RAW files vs JPG around. Maybe I haven't understood this to the full extend eitehr but I can see on my screen that there is a dramatic difference between those file formats when converted.

JPG the future, RAW is dead, right?

Cheers

Deed

deednets's gear list:deednets's gear list
Fujifilm X-E2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +2 more
Reply   Reply with quote   Complain
Post (hide subjects)Posted by
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum PPrevious NNext WNext unread UUpvote SSubscribe RReply QQuote BBookmark post MMy threads
Color scheme? Blue / Yellow